Re: OS 99

From: David Goldsmith (goldsmith@apple.com)
Date: Thu Nov 12 1998 - 14:27:49 EST

Hi,

OK, now I can give Mac OS' level of support for Unicode.

In Mac OS 8.0 and 8.1, we have the API level of support, because the Mac
OS Text Encoding Converter (TEC) can convert between Unicode and other
character sets.

In Mac OS 8.5, we added the ability to draw full Unicode text (via ATSUI,
Apple Type Services for Unicode Imaging), and to input Unicode
characters. Input methods that produce Unicode can also be written. I
think this probably qualifies as the "UI" level of support.

We will be adding more Unicode services (collation and comparison, an
editor, UI widget support) in future versions of Mac OS.

David Goldsmith
Architect, International & Text Group
Apple Computer, Inc.
goldsmith@apple.com