Re: Off topic: English orthography

From: Tex Texin (texin@progress.com)
Date: Wed Jul 21 1999 - 12:02:06 EDT

Michael Everson wrote:
> In good typography it is considered better to include them. One should
> always strive for good typography. I hope everyone reading this feels
> guilty if they leave out the cedilla the next time they write "façade".

However, American (elementary) schools that teach penmanship do not
include
Cedilla in the syllabus or repertoire. Therefore American students
cannot readily comply
with your request if they are writing anything by hand, either in
printing form or cursive.

When I need to write it, I make a mark that looks to me like a Cedilla,
but no one has
ever taught me the right way to draw it, which strokes to use in which
order,
and I certainly have no clue how to do it when writing cursively.

And although dictionary lookup is taught, where to find C-cedilla, or
other accented
characters is not covered.

For those of us that are used to seeing these characters, we understand
how to use them.
The general population (I suspect) has no idea and is probably confused
by them, excepting
those that have secondary language exposure.

tex

--
We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce
the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know

Progress Software Corp.        Voice:         +1-781-280-4271
14 Oak Park                      Fax:         +1-781-280-4949
Bedford, MA 01730  USA             texin@bedford.progress.com