Re: FATHATAN = assimilating tanwin

From: Arno Schmitt (arno@zedat.fu-berlin.de)
Date: Wed Jul 21 1999 - 12:32:10 EDT

Roozbeh Pournader schrieb:

> On Tue, 20 Jul 1999, Arno Schmitt wrote:
>
> > Could you elaborated on the tajweed rules? Do you think that some of
> > the special qur'anic "presentation forms" should go? Or will they
> > already be elimiated in version 3.0?
>
> First of all, I checked with my religious friends, and they told me that
> Iranian (and perhaps Shiite's) official Qur'an is Hafs version, but as
> read by 'Asim, so there is no single official Qur'an with the same
> encoding in Unicode if you want to add the Qur'anic marks to letters.

There is not ONE version of the Qur'an, there are 14 official
"readings".
But Hafs 'an 'Asim is the standard (for the time being). After the
end of the Ottoman empire readers from the Azhar published an
edition that became the vulgate, even replacing the different
versions that up till then were common in the Maghreb. Both the
Shiite version mentioned by you and the Medinese version
distributed by Saudi Arabia follow the Standard Kairene version.

> The tajweed rules are almost the thing Gregg said. In this case, they talk
> about two rules called ``Idghaam'' and ``Ikhfaa'' (the case interesting
> here for us). Idghaam occurs when tanween or any other occurence of noon
> is followed (in pronounciation) by a letter in `yarmaloon', i.e., `YEH',
> `REH', `MEEM', `LAM', `WAW', `NOON'. Ikhfaa occurs when tanween of any
> other noon is followed by any ``other'' letter, that are the letters other
> than `yarmaloon', `BEH', `HAMZA' (any kind), `HEH', `HAH', `KHAH', `AIN',
> and `GHAIN'.
>
> Ok, it seems that the rules are complicated, specially when we are talking
> about being followed in pronounciation. I agree. I will sign the purposal.
>
> --Roozbeh

Excellent! Any dissenting voice?

Arno