Re: Enochian

From: Ashley Yakeley (ashley@semantic.org)
Date: Thu Oct 21 1999 - 17:21:54 EDT

At 1999-10-21 11:00, John Cowan wrote:

>Formally, no. The question has been discussed in the bowels of the
>ConScript Unicode Registry, but nobody seems to have a principled way
>of telling if Enochian is just a (bizarre) font variant of Latin,
>like the pig-pen (aka "Masonic") cipher alphabet, or whether the
>existence of an Enochian language saves Enochian as a script,
>given that almost all writings in Enochian script are in English.

I've poked around on the website I gave and found a fair amount of
(transliterated) Enochian. Whatever its source, none of it is English, so
I'm not sure what you mean here.
<http://members.aol.com/AJRoberti/enochlng.htm>

It does perhaps have 'loan words' from English that curiously reflect
Dee's world-view: for instance, 'LONDOH' means 'kingdoms', 'MADRID' means
'iniquity'.

>It's a vexing problem.

I was surprised not to find it in the CSUR: I assume no-one from the
Enochian user community has made any effort in that direction. Perhaps
they're put off by the word 'constructed'.

No angel has ever spoken to me in Enochian, nevertheless, I imagine that
if one were to learn the Enochian language, any angels that did speak to
one would use it...

--
Ashley Yakeley, Seattle WA