RE: f + halant + i = ?

From: Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com
Date: Mon Dec 20 1999 - 15:55:01 EST

Halant (or viram) doesn't sound a reasonable candidate to me, although
creative.

In the default case it is a visible character, not a control. This case is
quite rare in Hindi or Marathi, if a decent font is used. But in Sanskrit
(for final consonants) or in a minimal font for modern languages, halant may
show its presence.

Moreover, it is not only in Devanagari: there is a different viram for each
different Indic scripts and, when visible, they have different shapes. Which
one should be exported to Europe?

And, finally, the real meaning of it is that the inherent vowel should not
be pronounced. The fact that it also determines ligatures is just accidental
(and does not happen in Tamil, for instance).

Ciao.
        M.C.