Re: Unicode Cyrillic GHE DE PE TE in Serbian

From: Karl Pentzlin (karl-pentzlin@acssoft.de)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 07:37:14 EST

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: <Marco.Cimarosti@ICL.com>
An: <karl-pentzlin@acssoft.de>; <unicode@unicode.org>
Gesendet: Dienstag, 11. Januar 2000 12:21
Betreff: RE: Unicode Cyrillic GHE DE PE TE in Serbian

> But, no, this case cannot qualify as a bug because, AFAIK, MS
> Word et al. do
> not distinguish "italic" from "slanted": the two properties are
> considered one and the same thing, deliberately.
I have looked up my dictionary, in fact the English word "italic" includes
the meaning "slanted". In German, there is no exact translation for
"italic", Microsoft Word uses "kursiv" (cursive print) in that place. This
word until now designated unequivocally a special font style (which is
commonly but not always slanted). But, German being a living language, due
to the widespread usage of programs like Microsoft Word the meaning of
"kursiv" seems to change to that of the English word "italic". In this view,
Microsoft is no longer to be blamed. (I do not know how this issue is
settled in e.g. Russian and Serbian versions of Microsoft Word.)

> ... The average user of a word processor, probably, just knows
> that italic letters have a different inclination, but never noticed that
> they also have different shapes.
Even if their mother tongue is written in Cyrillic?

Karl Pentzlin
AC&S Analysis Consulting & Software GmbH
München, Germany