Re: The Cent & Florin Signs VS. C-Slash & Left-Tailed F

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 20:20:24 EST

The different styles of cent sign are truly glyph variations.
There are many more forms of this sign and it is not correct to
code them all with different character codes.

The florin vs f-hook is beginning to look like a bad unification.
There's been some (private) discussions on possible strategies in
the latter case, since this unification has been with the standard
from its first draft.

The nicest way would have been to code another florin in the currency
symbols section. However, the use of the florin shape is the most
widely implemented (over 100 million seats world-wide), so it would
probably have to be the f-hook that gets a new code point.

To make any change, there would have to be clear support for this from
the user community.

A./

PS: It's common practice to cite Unicode characters as 4-digit hexadecimal
numbers (optionally prefixed with U+ or \u, depending on context).
I did not try to do the decimal to hex translation and my have missed
a point or two in your message.