Re: Unicode 3.0 press statements

From: Christopher John Fynn (cfynn@dircon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 08:54:08 EST

Paul Keinanen <keinanen@sci.fi> wrote:

> If you are referring to the Time Almanac, it lists 50 most common
> languages, with the last five with about 20 million speakers each
> and most likely the ranks between 51. to 70. would have more
> than 10 million speaker each. Since 1 % of the world population
> would be 60 millions, it is clear that the listed 50 most common
> languages contains much less than 99 % of the world population.

Doesn't Unicode primarily encode scripts for *writing* languages?
Written languages are often quite different from spoken languages
- even when they bear the same name. I don't think this PR should
be saying Unicode covers the languages *spoken* by xx% of the
world population but rather that it covers xx% of the written
languages used in the world.

- Chris