Re: Unicode 3.0 press statements

From: Paul Keinanen (keinanen@sci.fi)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 11:53:14 EST

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000 01:56:45 -0800 (PST), Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com
wrote:

>Besides numbers, also *examples* could catch the attention.
>What about asking Frank da Cruz (and/or Ethan Mollick,
>http://hcs.harvard.edu/~igp/glass.html) to allow using the "I can eat glass"
>text in his UTF8 test page (http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/utf8.html)?

That is a good idea for _printed_ press releases.

Unfortunately this does not currently work very well, when the press
release is on the web and it contains a link to that page.

Assume an average member of the public or average member of the press
will click on that link, what will he or she see ?

Depending on what web browser and which version is used, the support
for UTF-8 may vary quite a lot (e.g. some older Netscape browsers had
to be manually set to UTF-8). Even if UTF-8 is supported by the
browser, the displayed texts varies depending on what font is used as
default or what fonts are installed on the systems. At best you could
assume that a WGL4 font is installed. Most texts will be displayed as
blank squares. I am afraid the result would be quite disappointing in
most cases.

One way around this would be to first show the text as a GIF picture
and under it put the same text in UTF-8.

A short description would tell that in a well configured browsers, the
same text would be in both in the GIF and in the UTF-8 text and the
user should experiment with currently installed fonts to get the best
result.

Paul