Re: Unicode 3.0 press statements

From: Mark E. Davis (markdavis@ispchannel.com)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2000 - 22:29:00 EST

Omicron was required because it was distinguished from O in at least one of the
source standards for Unicode. Thus there was never any discussion of whether it
would otherwise have been unified or not.

I was never part of the Cyrillic discussions, so if someone would summarized the
reasons that Q and W cannot be correctly processed if used as Kurdish, I would
appreciate it. The only reason off hand that I can think of that someone might
claim that a mixture of Kurdish and (say) English could not be correctly sorted.
But we know that mixtures of any two arbitrary languages, e.g. French and Swedish,
cannot necessarily be correctly sorted without tagging.

Mark