RE: U+2118 SCRIPT CAPITAL P

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 17:13:48 EST

Murray clarified:

> U+2118 isn't a capital; it's the Weierstrass p (pls see your handy Unicode
> 3.0 Standard :-),

For those who don't have this online, the name list entry for U+2118 in
Unicode 3.0 reads as follows:

2118 SCRIPT CAPITAL P
        = Weierstrass elliptic function
        * actually this has the form of a lowercase calligraphic p, despite its name

and the clarifying text in Chapter 12, Symbols, p. 296, reads:

"Despite its name, U+2118 SCRIPT CAPITAL P is neither script nor capital --
it is uniquely the Weierstrass elliptic function derived from a calligraphic
lowercase p."

This is one of the small class of "things that aren't what they seem"
in Unicode.

Remember that Unicode names are merely fixed, unchanging labels for the
abstract character encoded. Since standardizers, being human, are fallible,
sometimes those labels got assigned inappropriately, and the glitches have
had to be ironed out one at a time as they are discovered. But knowing this,
be careful not to presume that character identity and properties
can always be derived from the name alone.

--Ken