Re: 8859-1, 8859-15, 1252 and Euro

From: Erik van der Poel (erik@netscape.com)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2000 - 19:00:09 EST

Alain wrote:

> I prefer a clean solution but if I
> have the choice of quick-and-dirty flavours, I prefer to assume that
> the bad coding assumes 8869-15 than a character set that can't get in
> on environemnts which use the C1 space for controls.

Do you have a problem with C1 in HTML over HTTP? Or are you referring to
email here?

> > I believe that the best short-term solution for the euro in HTML is
> > to use 0x80 with the "windows-1252" label.
>
> This solution does not worl in Unix environment or on
> mainframes and interacts badly with Mac software. So I don't share
> your belief because it is a proble and it will continue for a while.

Yes, this problem will continue for a while, until the Mac, Unix and
mainframe users start using modern browsers that can handle
windows-1252. But many users are using Windows right now, and many of
the users that need the euro glyph have it on their systems. So, from a
Web site's point of view, 0x80 in windows-1252 caters to the largest
number of users.

Erik