Re: 8859-1, 8859-15, 1252 and Euro

From: Alain LaBonté  (alb@sct.gouv.qc.ca)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 12:38:40 EST

À 09:07 2000-02-10 -0800, Erik van der Poel a écrit:
>Alain LaBonté wrote:
> >
> > Erik van der Poel a écrit:
> > >
> > > The gateway will need to do this for UTF-8
> > > *anyway*, so it might as well do it for windows-1252 too.
> >
> > Yes, like get rid of some French and Finnish characters.
>
>UTF-EBCDIC contains those characters, no?

[Alain] I guess so, since it maps the UCS. I guess that its calls for
UTF-8 to be mapped at all IBM gateways asap to UTF-EBCDIC. Then it can be
mapped to a CECP code page that maps the repertoire of ISO/IEC 8859-15, as
this is the only standard reference with a clean repertorie of 191
characters that can be implemented on an EBCDIC machine internally for
existing applications. That is one solution, of course.

Alain LaBonté
Québec