Re: 8859-1, 8859-15, 1252 and Euro

From: Paul Keinanen (keinanen@sci.fi)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 18:15:44 EST

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000 14:16:19 -0800 (PST), Doug Ewell
<dewell@compuserve.com> wrote:

>The vulgar fractions that were replaced in ISO 8859-15, in particular
>U+00BC "1/4" and U+00BD "1/2", are *NOT* useless characters. They are
>in common use, in Web pages and elsewhere.

These fractions might be usable in countries using "Imperial" units,
but as far as I know, there are only a few countries still using
"Imperial" units :-).

It is a long time since I have seen these fractions used in web pages
and have never used them myself, even if they have been available
since early 80's (in DEC-MCS), so I am very happy that they got rid of
them in ISO 8859-15.

Paul Keinänen