RE: Vulgar fractions (was: 8859-1, 8859-15, 1252 and Euro)

From: Hohberger, Clive (CHohberger@zebra.com)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 08:10:50 EST

One should not overlook that vulgar fractions often express
quantities with absolute accuracy. For example, "7 1/3" is
accurate, but that same accuracy cannot cannot be attained
in a decimal expression "7.333..." with a finite number of digits.

Also, giving you a dessert portion of 1/6 of the pie expresses
the process of cutting the pie into 6 pieces as well the portion.

To a mathematician, there is nothing "vulgar" about "vulgar fractions!"

Clive