Re: 8859-1, 8859-15, 1252 and Euro

From: Robert A. Rosenberg (bob.rosenberg@digitscorp.com)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 12:59:52 EST

At 02:16 PM 02/10/2000 -0800, Doug Ewell wrote:

>BTW, I probably would have replaced U+00AC NOT SIGN and U+00AF MACRON
>instead of U+00BC and U+00BD. Can someone provide a counterexample
>showing that U+00AC and U+00AF are indeed in common use?

I would have removed the useless junk in the C1 range and put useful glyphs
there. What ACTUAL purpose is served by wasting 32 codepoints to duplicate
the C0 (x00-x1F) codes? I can see no reason why a character code needs to
function as if the high bit is not there. If I strip the high bit off a
character ALL the characters in the xA0-xFF range will display wrong so why
preserve the C1 codes just so it FORMATS "correctly"? It is junk in any
case so just display the formatting incorrectly.