Re: 8859-1, 8859-15, 1252 and Euro

From: Alain LaBonté  (alb@sct.gouv.qc.ca)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 16:31:07 EST

À 15:07 2000-02-10 -0800, Paul Keinanen a écrit:
>On Thu, 10 Feb 2000 14:16:19 -0800 (PST), Doug Ewell wrote:
> >The vulgar fractions that were replaced in ISO 8859-15, in particular
> >U+00BC "1/4" and U+00BD "1/2", are *NOT* useless characters. They are
> >in common use, in Web pages and elsewhere.

[Paul]

>These fractions might be usable in countries using "Imperial" units,
>but as far as I know, there are only a few countries still using
>"Imperial" units :-).

[Alain] And in particular countries using extensively Latin 1 beyond
USASCII, nobody could care less about vulgar fractions as we use the
decimal system all the time.

The fact that the set of vulgar fractions is incomplete in Latin 1 make
these characters doubly useless and they can be replaced easily by 1/4,
1/2, 3/4.

[Paul]
>It is a long time since I have seen these fractions used in web pages
>and have never used them myself, even if they have been available
>since early 80's (in DEC-MCS), so I am very happy that they got rid of
>them in ISO 8859-15.
>
>Paul Keinänen

Thanks a lot.

Alain LaBonté