Identifying and supporting encodings (was Re: 8859-1,...)

From: Edward Cherlin (edward.cherlin.sy.67@aya.yale.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 01:35:41 EST

At 12:40 PM -0800 2/10/00, Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:

>As I noted, all that is needed is for the sending MUA to CORRECTLY
>identify the charset it is sending in and for the receiving MUA to
>support that charset. Thus any platform can send/receive so long as
>it supports the charset. This is no different than someone sending
>an Email in Japanese. If the receiving MUA (on a Windows OR a
>Macintosh) has support for display of Japanese then the message will
>be acceptable.

Support for display of Japanese AND the correct mapping tables. I am
constantly annoyed with mail clients and browsers that support
various combinations of JIS, Shift-JIS, EUC-JP, but no ISO-2022-JP. I
have been getting mail in ISO-2022-JP lately, and reading it in my
present situation requires transferring it to a word processor on a
different operating system. Unless you know of another mapping table
I can plug into Eudora?

Edward Cherlin
Generalist
"A knot!" exclaimed Alice. "Oh, do let me help to undo it."
Alice in Wonderland