Re: FW: ISO Code page (character set)?

From: Erik van der Poel (erik@netscape.com)
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 11:13:24 EST

> > I have found ISO 639 listings but I am looking for codes like "iso8859-1".
>
> If you are looking for registered names of character encodings, to be
> used as MIME, or HTTP, Charset values, then try
> <http://www.iana.org/numbers.html#C>, referring (amongst others) to the
> list in <http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/character-sets>.

Note that the IANA registry does not contain the specific name
"iso8859-1", though both Microsoft and Netscape treat it as an alias for
iso-8859-1. The following is an out-of-date table of charset names used
by Netscape 4.X:

  http://people.netscape.com/erik/nav-charsets/

Eventually, I hope to find time to update that table.

X Windows uses the same name (iso8859-1) at the end of the long XLFD
font names, and this probably isn't a coincidence.

Erik