Re: lists of actual character/diacritic combinations

From: Joan Aliprand (BR.JMA@RLG.ORG)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 13:34:15 EST

John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com> asked:

[snip]

>An interesting point about ANSEL is that it treats u-horn and
>o-horn as unique letters like eth and ae, rather than as u and o
>with a COMBINING HORN as Unicode does. Since HORN is not
>applied to any other letters, I wonder why it was analyzed out
>by the Unicode designers (only saved 3 codepoints).

Unicode has u-horn and o-horn as unique letters (in Latin
Extended-B) as well as the combining horn (U+031B in Combining
Diacritical Marks).

Both alternatives occur in library records. The MARC 21 data
exchange format (from the Library of Congress) specifies
ANSEL as its "extended Latin" set. The UNIMARC format (from the
International Federation of Library Associations) specifies ISO
5426, which does not encode the four letters but has a combining
horn.

-- Joan Aliprand, RLG

To: UNICODE@UNICODE.ORG