Re: Rationale wanted for Unicode identifier rules

From: Tex Texin (texin@progress.com)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2000 - 01:45:25 EST

Paul,
It is a good point.
In thinking about schemes that provide version compatibility, we should
perhaps be more specific about the behaviors we want to preserve.

So, if I use a (new) character in an identifier name, we should
ask what should happen in a version that doesn't know the character
and in one that does, with respect to various operations.

I think a nice property of an escape mechanism could be that
regardless of the version, escaped characters could follow
their own rules.

So properties relevant to identifiers that need to be considered:
normalization,
case-insensitivity
sorting
directionality
search

So if a character is defined more recently than XML version x,
XML can either: reject it, use some presumed default behaviors, know
where to
look up the behaviors, or ?...

If the character is escaped, XML could stipulate that the character
will not be folded, normalized, and will be sorted based on its binary
code point, etc. And if a later version of XML supports the character
and knows its properties, it should still treat it as escaped, for
consistency, if the escape character precedes it.

We need to consider some display issues. I presume the escape
character would always be indicated.

What happens if the escaped character is a combining character?
========
I dunno, software today needs to know so many things about a character,
and for interoperability each software package needs to be sure to do
the same thing
with each character.
I think it might be better for the software packages to have a protocol
to negotiate between them to the greatest XML version that is common
between them.
If a new character is really required, then all software has to be
upgraded to
the supporting XML version, or maybe newer software uses fallback
characters
when interoperating with software that is of a lower version....
(ugh).

maybe this'll seem clearer in the morning.
tex

--
Progress is a proud sponsor of the 16th International Unicode Conference
March 27-30, 2000 in Amsterdam, Holland

Progress Software Corp.       +1-781-280-4271
14 Oak Park                   +1-781-280-4655 (Fax)
Bedford, MA 01730  USA        texin@bedford.progress.com

http://www.progress.com The #1 Embedded Database http://www.SonicMQ.com JMS Compliant Messaging- Best Middleware Award http://www.aspconnections.com Leading provider in the ASP marketplace

Progress Globalization Program http://www.progress.com/services/partners/globalization/index.htm ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Spanish Proverb: Don't speak unless you can improve on the silence. Tex's Proverb: Don't email unless you can improve on the screen saver.