Re: DIN 5007, Swiss Sorting

From: Alain LaBonté  (alb@sct.gouv.qc.ca)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 10:02:53 EST

À 06:08 2000-03-13 -0800, Markus Kuhn a écrit:
>Michael Everson wrote on 2000-03-13 13:34 UTC:
> > http://www.egt.ie/standards/capsmall.html
>
>Sounds convincing. You might add that ASCII ordering also did it always
>that way.

Webster systematically follows the reverse practice. The full OED has
"august" before "August" (like Webster), for example, and there are a lot
of other examples...

Both practices exist in English. Btw EBCDIC orders lower case before uppêr
case. But the order in character sets has nothing to do with "cultural"
sorting... It is not an argument.

In the Canadian standard we explain our rationale very well. Harmonizing
sorting for as many Western languages as possible was a goal. Harmonizing
all of them was impossible, so the international standard makes a
requirement that a delta be mandatory. That solves any "religious war" issue.

Alain LaBonté
Québec