Re: Official ISO 639 changes

From: Michael Everson (everson@egt.ie)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 07:15:14 EDT

Ar 17:07 -0800 2000-04-24, scríobh Martin J. Duerst:

>> >http://lcweb.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/codechanges.html
>
>This is great progress. I hope we can soon see the full
>official list of language codes on the web.

At present you can see them at
>Some suggestions/questions:
>
>- Please make sure that this page is served indicating
> iso-8895-1 as its encoding, according to
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/charset.html#h-5.2.2.

I will pass this along. I don't see the point of your other HTML
suggestions; some of the tags are unfamiliar to me and probably to my
editor and browser anyway.

>- New definitions of 2-letter codes make it more difficult
> to define what code should be used in ietf-based protocols.
> Originally, the idea for the update to RFC 1766 was to use
> the two-letter code where this already existed, but the
> three-letter code for the other languages. This will need
> some more thought, and probably a cutoff date or a precedence
> rule. The table would provide enough information for that.

The RA-JAC agreed a mechanism to ensure that there will be no overlap of
2-letter and 3-letter codes. It is a cutoff date and precedence rule; I'm
not sure if it's been cast in resolutionese yet or not. It's dependent on
the finalization of the revision of 639-1.

Michael Everson ** Everson Gunn Teoranta ** http://www.egt.ie
Vox +353 1 478 2597 ** Fax +353 1 478 2597 ** Mob +353 86 807 9169