Re: Longest Names (was: Re: Unicode trivia)

From: Michael Everson (everson@egt.ie)
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 06:03:24 EDT

Ar 09:57 -0800 2000-05-09, scríobh Kenneth Whistler:

>There are no guarantees, but no one in the UTC or WG2 is competing to
>create a longer name. There are no specified length limits in the naming
>rules that WG2 follows, but the committee has watchdogs who try to keep
>the names shorter, when possible. Furthermore, since the longest existing
>names are compatibility Arabic ligatures, and since WG2 has vowed not to
>encode any more Arabic ligatures, we are unlikely to see longer names.

Unless we name Egyptian hieroglyphs in any other way but their catalogue
names. Compare:

ARABIC LIGATURE UIGHUR KIRGHIZ YEH WITH HAMZA ABOVE WITH ALEF MAKSURA
ISOLATED FORM

with

EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPHIC SIGN RECUMBANT CROCODILE WITH NORTHERN KINGDOM
HEADDRESS AND FLAGELLUM

:-)

Michael Everson ** Everson Gunn Teoranta ** http://www.egt.ie
Vox +353 1 478 2597 ** Fax +353 1 478 2597 ** Mob +353 86 807 9169