Re: NUKTA

From: Jaap Pranger (yaap@xs4all.nl)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 22:30:54 EDT

At 19:57 +0200 2000.08.23, Antoine Leca wrote:

>As a sidepoint (not really relevant, but it may matter), ISCII-91
>does use the combination of vowel with nukta, in both standalone
>and vowel sign form.
> short ri + nukta gives long rii
> short i + nukta gives short vocalic li (and issues a collation problem)
> long ii + nukta gives the theoric long vocalic lii

Antoine, do you use iLEAP to get these ISCII-91 results? Same
behaviour here on a Mac. I had SUE translate it to UTF-8, and
everything shows up fine in iCab. Merci pour dévoiler les secrets dactylographiques! (But I don't know Sanskrit, can't check the
collation problem.)

>> 6. Two adjacent halants or vowel signs are probably invalid.
>
>Again, this was "reused" by ISCII-91: the combination halant+halant
>means "explicit halant", much like the use of zwnj in Unicode.

Same here again, so I guess the mysterious ZWNJ made it
into my UTF-8 page ;-)

BTW, does UTF-8 text present itself differently on a Mac?
It should, or do I miss smthg?

Jaap