Re: Same language, two locales (RE: Locale string for Norwegian - Bok mal and Nynorsk?)

From: addison@inter-locale.com
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 14:09:55 EDT

In the end we get a bunch of hacks to make the system work (in this regard
Microsoft is no better: they have to create new LCIDs to capture this
complexity too). This isn't surprising, given the nature of languages and
cultures.

Differences in writing systems are much more problematic than the
Norwegian example. The Simplified/Traditional Chinese thing leaps to mind,
of course, and variants are very unsatisfying (how long before the @EURO
variant goes away? what happens in locales with a two variant
requirement? And, of course, variants aren't based on *any* standard...)

On the other hand, it *is* good that the main system is predictable and
based on easily available standards. So long as everyone agrees to what
things mean we'll be fine.

I imagine that the nb/nn codes will eventually predominate... except that
this means many Norwegian locale structures are going to be messy: Java,
for example, will default from nb to default, not from nb to
nn-if-it-exists or from nb to no. On the other hand, the Bokmal/Nynorsk
mess now *has* a solution that is a standard. It's up to implementers to
make sense of it.

Best Regards,

Addison