Re: Same language, two locales

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Sun Sep 03 2000 - 16:12:17 EDT

For completeness sake, I will mention the Windows behavior here:

There is no way to extend locale IDs under Windows beyond what they are, but
it is possible to change the settings of the ones you choose at any time, in
order to customize them. Thus you can change things such as formats as much
as you like. The one irrevocable thing that LCIDs give you is a collation
choice (the regional options do not allow you to specify a separate default
collation choice).

It would be kind of handy (IMHO) if you could choose a different
collation.... to me, all those frippy things like formats are a pain to set
manually. But if I want a different collation and my old formats I have to
go and manually set them all (or write code to set them, which is what I do
now). This puts most locale information available in the regional settings
to be not too much more than a simple, override-able user preference, except
collation which is tied to the overall setting.

Note that Word 2000 will let you tag text with different languages and
assuming you have the spellcheckers install from the proofing tools with
properly recognize internationalization/localization in US English text and
internationalisation/localisation in UK English text, as one would hope (but
I admittedly figure it would fail, so it was a plasant surprise to see it
working!).

michka