Euro [was: Same language, two locales]

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine.Leca@renault.fr)
Date: Mon Sep 04 2000 - 06:45:16 EDT

Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 02, 2000 at 10:50:25AM -0800, Doug Ewell wrote:
> > One that I know has
> > been mentioned on this list is that if you are in a Euro country, such
> > as France, your fr_FR locale is not sufficient to specify the use of
> > the Euro currency symbol. A separate "fr_FR_Euro" locale would be
> > needed. This would pose a problem if you needed to switch back and
> > forth, and in any case the standard fr_FR locale will certainly not
> > automatically update itself from FRF to EUR on 2002-01-01.
>
> Anyway the problem with the Euro is taken care of in DTR 14652.

Part of the problem (mainly the period when we have two currencies,
i.e. from 1999 to 2001).
BTW, am I alone in the fr_FR mess?

> And it can automatically update itself to EUR on 2002-07-01,
> or whenever.

PLEASE

N N OOO
NN N O O
N N N O O
N NN O O
N N OOO

At least not *automatically*. LC_MONETARY is a mechanism to automatically add
a (default) currency symbol to an amount. No more, no less. So there is
no question of automatic change, whether at 1999-01-01 (the moment when
the Euro became my "national" currency), 2002-01-01 (the official beginning
of using of Euro coins), 2002-06-30 (the very last possible date for use of
Francs coins, although it might be earlier), 2001-01-01 (the date when most
systems will change here) or 1999-02-17 (the date at which my particular
acounting system was changed). Or whatever.

We have three years to change the currency. As a result, at least during
this period, we use a lot of datas where some are in Francs, and some in
Euros (and some are with double amounts). The default mechanism specified
in POSIX or Windows cannot aptely deal with such a case, nor it should IMHO
(this will happens once, so special measures certainly are the best way to
go, rather that weighting the ship with more bloated software which will
be useless for the rest of the times). As a result, we need to:
- tag every amonts one way or another, and track the "default" to tag them
 with the now-current currency;
- change at our own rythm, each one, the symbol used for the default (i.e.,
 the locale from "fr_FR" to "fr_FR@EURO" to go with Solaris 8).
 BTW, 2002-07-01 is too late.

What I certainly do NOT want to see, is an automatic mechanism that divide
every amount I pass to it untagged (to strfmon, e.g.), and display properly
until 2002-06-30, and then after, divide it with 6.55957, round to 2 digits
after the comma, and go this way...

Antoine