Re: Plane 14 redux

From: Roozbeh Pournader (roozbeh@Sina.sharif.ac.ir)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 08:53:52 EDT

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Doug Ewell wrote:

> I have suggested on this list using Plane 14 tags to assist in glyph
> selection between C, J, and K or between Russian italics and Serbian
> italics because I thought they would provide a nice, all-Unicode
> solution *without* resorting to higher protocols. Other Unicode
> mechanisms, like LTR and RTL directional overrides and ligation control
> via ZWJ and ZWNJ (to name only two), seem to have been invented for
> exactly that purpose.

I don't agree with the last comment. ZWJ and ZWNJ are not only for visual
appearance. While the difference between Chinese and Japanese glyphs makes
no difference in meaning, leaving or using a ZWJ or ZWNJ sometimes changes
the word meaning. That's at least true for Persian, I don't know about
Indic languages.

--roozbeh