Re: the Ethnologue

From: addison@inter-locale.com
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 05:10:22 EDT

I dunno.

The problem here is that ISO639 has, for better or worse, been adopted by
a wide array of DIFFERING applications. It's a convenience standard that
we vaguely have to live with.

One problem here is that it is being used to define BOTH languages and
locales... and the POSIX locale model in particular has to struggle
against the limitations of using a language tag (in combination with a
3166 tag) to define writing systems, cultural conventions, and other
information that doesn't follow directly from a "language" on its own. And
the "language negotiation" "feature" of the Web is based on LANGUAGE tags
that look exactly like POSIX locale codes... hmmm....

I support the IDEA of registering all the language codes that linguists
need in a standard for use in language tagging---and that this
standard be ISO639/RFC1766 seems logical. But I'd also favor a
rethink of the POSIX locale model while we're at it, to rid ourselves of
this ambiguity.

Regards,

Addison

Addison P. Phillips