Re: Tagging orthographic systems (was: (iso639.186) the

From: Rick McGowan (rmcgowan@apple.com)
Date: Wed Sep 13 2000 - 16:17:03 EDT

> My point is that for some languages there is no single
> orthography that can ever be nailed down.

Yes of course. But there's nothing to prevent the development of a system of orthographic tags, and nothing to prevent combining orthographic tags with language tags for complete mix-and-match coverage. That's all. It just appeared from your posting that you were assuming that the language tag must bind orthography. It isn't necessary. I think it would be BETTER to have separate spaces with cleaner definitions, and leave it up to the document format or protocol or locale to match them up in an appropriate manner.

        Rick