Re: [off topic] Identifying languages

From: Frank da Cruz (fdc@columbia.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 14:52:35 EDT

"Patrick Andries" <pandries@iti.qc.ca> wrote:
> I have an old banknote from Austria-Hungary. I believe it to be an
> interesting multilingual document. (See
> http://hapax.iquebec.com/hapax/images/autriche-hongrie-vignette.jpg .)
>
> Next to German, eight other languages mention the value of the banknote.
> There is no trace of Hungarian, which is interesting. Did Transleithania end
> Cisleithania have different banknotes? The red overprint mentions
> Deutschösterreich, when was this added ? After 1919 ? If prior, is it the
> same as Cisleithania ?
>
> What are the eight languages mentioned ? At this stage, I have the
> following possibilities :
>
> left 1 : tisíc = czech or slovak right 1 : tisoc = slovenian
> left 2 : tisiac = polish right 2 : hiljada = croatian
> left 3 : tisiatch = ukrainian right 3 : hiljada = serbian
> left 4 : mille = italian right 4 : una mie = rumanian
>
> Is this right ?
>
> I have a similar problem identifying the languages of a Yugoslav banknote.
> See last example on the following page with several multilingual banknote
> images http://hapax.iquebec.com/hapax/billets-de-banque.htm . Beware, the
> page was quickly put together and contains lots of large images. The
> Yugoslav banknote mentions 3 (bank's name and city of Belgrad) to 4
> languages (value and governor's title), which one are there ?

I am passing the following response on from a banknote enthusiast (not me),
since anything is more fun than language tagging :-)

(begin quote)

N.B. I am far from any linguistic competence.

Tisic is Czech and Slovakian
Tysiac is Polish today
tisiatch = Ukrainian seems likely (I see it in Cyrillic)
mille = Italian
tisoc = Slovenian
una mie = Romanian

I have the original note before the overprint... This is a common note
that was overprinted and issued in 1919 with this overprint presumably as
a result of the dissolution of the Empire. Similar notes were issued for
the new Yugoslavia as well since it had also been a part of the Austrian/
Hungarian Empire. Originally these notes came out in 1902 for the entire
Empire. In addition, some Asian banknotes have many languages, such as
the colonial notes of India.

John

(end quote)