Re: [idn] nameprep forbidden characters

From: Mark Davis (markdavis@ispchannel.com)
Date: Sun Sep 17 2000 - 13:04:49 EDT

I am curious why you feel so strongly that the Hebrew points should be ignored
in domain names. Prima facie, it seems that there is little harm in treating
them no differently from other characters. What problem would arise if the
domain was ABC.COM and I could not get it by typing AB*C.COM? (Here uppercase
stands for Hebrew, and * for a point.) Conversely, if someone really did
register AB*C.COM, would it be a problem that I couldn't get to that location by
typing ABC.COM?

It is my understanding that the vowels are rarely used, and that people really
wouldn't use them in registered domain names anyway. It seems that if someone
did take the trouble to type in the points, that there would be a reason for
their making such a distinction.

I'd appreciate it if you could help me to understand the issue more clearly.

Mark