RE: New Locale Proposal

From: Carl W. Brown (cbrown@xnetinc.com)
Date: Fri Sep 22 2000 - 00:42:51 EDT

I took another look at ISO 15897 and it appears that locales can be
registered under almost any name. There seems to be little pattern to the
naming that I can tell.

In my case I am not only working on ICU but also building an ICU module for
the Apache web server and potentially other web servers. I makes more sense
to use RFC 1766 as part of the locale because that is usually my input info.
I am merely restructuring it to better utilize resources. I can also
convert UNIX locale ID and even LCIDs to this type of locale ID. But the
real advantage is to open expansion without registering a new ID.

The reason that they did not want editing was that they wanted to allow
users the freedom to implement unhampered locales. I think that this is
wrong. There should be a standard way for users to extend locales.

Carl