Re: Unicode on a website

From: Lars Marius Garshol (larsga@garshol.priv.no)
Date: Sat Sep 23 2000 - 10:33:03 EDT

* Lars Marius Garshol

| MSIE 5.5 does pretty well, but for some reason it fails to display
| Georgian and Ethiopic, even if there are fonts that support these
| scripts on the system. No doubt there are other holes as well,
| although these are the only ones I've noticed.

* Michael Kaplan

| This is due to the fact that there is simply no font linking info in
| either IE or Windows 2000 to handle certain scripts. If you
| explicitly use particular fonts (say Slyfaen or Code 2000) then it
| works very well.

I don't know what you mean by 'font linking info', but Windows font
signatures have had a bit set aside for Georgian for quite a while and
they now also have one for Ethiopic. So it's straightforward to handle
display of both these languages without forcing users to use
particular fonts.

--Lars M.