Re: Unicode on a website

From: David Starner (dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org)
Date: Sat Sep 23 2000 - 16:46:20 EDT

(The list is munging my headers! Reply-to is being deleted! I
guess I'm going to have to munge the From address then.)

On Sat, Sep 23, 2000 at 04:29:16PM -0400, Doug Ewell wrote:
> David Starner <dvdeug@x8b4e516e.dhcp.okstate.edu> wrote:
>
> >> First is there a standard for implementing SCSU in browsers? If not
> >> then we need to do that first.
> >
> > Huh? It's a text encoding. You should keep everything through the
> > Content-Type ASCII (that only uses LF, CR and HT and graphic
> > characters, so it's also legal SCSU), and properly label the
> > Content-Type, just like you'd do with any non-ASCII encoding.
>
> I wonder if there is some confusion here between SCSU and another
> encoding form. SCSU uses all 256 bytes, not just printable ASCII and
> CR/LF/HT.

There's no confusion. If the content tag is going to be read without
outside knowledge of the encoding form, then it's got to be in ASCII,
and since it's got to be in SCSU, too, it has to be in that common
subset - i.e. CR/LF/HT and printable ASCII.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
http/ftp: dvdeug.dhis.org