Re: lag time in Unicode implementations in OS, etc?

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Mon Oct 02 2000 - 13:26:44 EDT

Windows NT's latest version, Windows 2000, does not support Unicode 3.0.
There are many scripts for which no keyboards exist, and which do not even
have fonts or shaping rules for rendering.

When it comes out is a generic question, so I will give you a generic
answer: when they get the work done! :-) I do not know of a central place
that lists who supports what version of Unicode is kept, and it might be a
pretty monstrous thing to keep track of since it is a "per product" thing.

Plus, there are other details: if Mozilla or IE chooses not to support a
specific tenet of the Unicode Bidi algorithm, does that mean it is not
compliant? If an OS has no keyboard or fonts for Ethiopic languages, does
that mean it is not? And if a word processor does not support shaping rules
for the Tibetan script or Sinhala, is it not?

michka

a new book on internationalization in VB at
http://www.i18nWithVB.com/