Re: Microsoft Office 2001 Mac

From: Mark H. David (mhd@world.std.com)
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 13:28:52 EDT

> Word 2001 seems to be better than Word 98 was in this regard, but it
> still has some problems. So far as I can tell, it handles
> WorldScript I scripts OK (Cyrillic, Hebrew, Arabic, Indic scripts),

If it's true that Word 2001 supports WorldScript I, that's a welcome
and unexpected development indeed, especailly for Hebrew/Arabic users,
and I hope Microsoft will then update their support document titled
"Word for Macintosh does not support WorldScript".

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q94/8/84.ASP

which is excerpted below, taken from MS's web site.

Thanks, Mark

Article ID: Q94884

Last Reviewed:
November 13, 1999

Word for Macintosh Does Not Support WorldScript

Microsoft Word for the Macintosh, versions 3.0, 3.01, 3.02, 4.0, 5.0, 5.1, 6.0, 6.0.1, 6.0.1a
Microsoft Word 98 Macintosh Edition

SUMMARY
Microsoft Word does not support Apple's WorldScript technology.

WorldScript makes it possible for one version of an application to work with multiple language systems (for example, English, Japanese, or Arabic). This technology can be used as a localization tool for many applications. However, WorldScript does not address certain aspects of text such as line layout, printing double-byte characters, or right-to-left text flow. Because these are important aspects of a word processor, the performance- level of Microsoft Word would be reduced if it were used with WorldScript.

Microsoft believes that localizing our products is the best way to provide the best possible product to our foreign markets.

NOTE: Localization is the term used to refer to the process of adapting an application to a foreign language so that it is optimized for that language.

Localized versions of Microsoft Word for the Macintosh are currently available in the following languages: ... [doesn't include Hebrew or Arabic. -mhd]