Re: Colours

From: Timothy Partridge (timpart@perdix.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2000 - 19:50:50 EDT

William Overington" <WOverington@ngo.globalnet.co.uk> said:

>I am reminded of some pictures I once saw on collectable
> postcards. The pictures were reproductions from a medieval
> book, possibly, but I am not sure, The Tres Riches Heures of
> the Duc du Berry, which is a famous manuscript book.

> Some of the numbers were black and some were red.

Red letter days are certain Holy days and Saints' days in the
Christian calendar. Apparently the list was standardised by the
Council of Nicaea in A.D. 325.

25th Jan Conversion of St Paul
2nd Feb Purification
24th Feb St Matthias
25th Mar Annunciation
Ash Wednesday
25th Apr St Mark
1st May St Phillip and St James
Ascension Day
11th June St Barnabas
24th June St John the Baptist
29th June St Peter
25th July St James
18th Oct St Luke
28th Oct St Simon and St Jude
1st Nov All Saints
30th Nov St Andrew
21st Dec St Thomas

Dateless days in the above depend on the date of Easter.

   Tim