RE: Number separators

From: Ayers, Mike (Mike_Ayers@bmc.com)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 13:20:18 EST

> From: James E. Agenbroad [mailto:jage@loc.gov]
>
> > Tuesday,
> October 31, 2000
> > You probably should check out what's done in India. The call hundred
> > thousands "crores" and have a name I don't recall for tens
> of millions.
> > I don't recall how they punctuate them but think it's not
> in triplets as
> > is done in the U.S.
> >
> Tuesday, Ocotber 31, 2000
> Oops! 100,000 is a lakh and 10,000,000 is a crore. I should
> have checked
> my dictionary. Where and with what they are separated I still
> don't know.
>
> Regards,
> Jim Agenbroad ( jage@LOC.gov )

        I just got confirmation on this:

        1 lakh - 1,00,000
        1 crore - 1,00,00,000
        1 ??? - 1,00,00,00,000

        My source (a native hindi speaker) couldn't remember the name of the
unit after crore, but was sure of the comma placement.

        Cool - now does anyone know of any other systems that group digits
other than in groups of threes?

/|/|ike