OT: Relevance of Locale data?

From: Nesbitt, Gavin (GNesbitt@GOV.NU.CA)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 16:13:09 EST

A slightly off-topic question, but related to Unicode issues.

Is it really necessary to have language specific day and month names for a
locale that does not have an actual interface localization?

Or to slightly rephrase, how relevant is it to developers that a locale
contains "day 2 = tuesday month 10 = October" So long as they have 7 days
and 12 months?

The reason I'm asking is that we are attempting to provide locale info for
the Inuktitut language in Nunavut, Canada. There are 7 days in a modern use
week, but 15 different ways of expressing that day (some minor variants some
major). If the only reason to have a script and language specific
representation is so that Word can autoprompt me when I type I'm not going
to spend all that much time on the issue. If instead it is a core issue that
needs to be defined we can look into it some more.

Suggestions on just what is really important in this case would be
appreciated. Otherwise we're going to spend the next 6 months on this and
end up with 15 different locales for 25,000 people all of whom (bilingual
or not) work in English or French OS's already.

As further info, sort order and keyboards are pretty much defined at this
point...

Thanks,
-Gavin

Gavin Nesbitt - gnesbitt@gov.nu.ca