Re: Dupe?

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@compuserve.com)
Date: Thu Nov 02 2000 - 02:51:26 EST

Juergen Buchmueller <pullmoll@t-online.de> wrote:

> does anybody know if there is a visual or functional difference
> between U+1541 and U+157D? To me they look exactly the same :-P

U+1541 CANADIAN SYLLABICS SAYISI YI and U+157D CANADIAN SYLLABICS HK
share the same glyph, a medium-sized X raised slightly from center.
There are no handy cross-references from one letter to the other, like
the ones we are accustomed to seeing in the Latin blocks, but based on
the two character names and the fact that UCAS names seem fairly
phonetic, I'd guess that the two have different pronunciations and may
come from different writing traditions.

In the Runic block, there are two pairs of characters that share the
same glyph:

U+16BC RUNIC LETTER LONG-BRANCH-HAGALL H
U+16E1 RUNIC LETTER IOR

and

U+16BD RUNIC LETTER SHORT-TWIG-HAGALL H
U+16C2 RUNIC LETTER E

This bothered me until I read the note on page 175 of The Unicode
Standard, Version 3.0: "When runes from different writing systems have
the same graphic form but a different origin and denote different
sounds, they have been coded as separate characters." I assume this is
what happened with the similar-looking Canadian Syllabics characters.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California