RE: Q.'s about hanja

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@europe.com)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 12:20:24 EST

John Cowan wrote:
> > 3) How often are hanja used today, however? (...)
>
> I believe they are still common in newspaper headlines,
> because of the greater
> degree of compression they permit.

Do you mean that some hanja have a polisyllabic pronunciation in Korean?

I thought than any single hanja was pronunced as a *single* syllable in
Korean and, thus, a given expression would occupy exactly the same space
whether spelled in hanja or hangul.

Or did you mean that hanja, being less ambiguous, allow using terms and
expressions that would be avoided in hangul-only text?

_ Marco

Prego di notare che il mio indirizzo di e-mail è ora:
Please notice that my e-mail address is now:

   marco.cimarosti@europe.com

FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com