RE: Devanagari Consonant RA Rule R2

From: James E. Agenbroad (jage@loc.gov)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 09:06:49 EST

                                            Wednesday, November 8, 2000
First, I'm not an expert in Sanskrit but have done some work with
Devanagari. I think at figure 9-3 (4) on page 214 and at R2 on page 217
Unicode 3.0 overstates and mistates the situation a bit. What is being
described is, I believe, a rendering issue, not an encoding issue.
Instead of involving an independent vowel, it involves the r consonant,
U+0930, immediately followed by the R vowel sign (matra), U+0943, which
happens to get rendered as the independent vowel, U+090B with the
superscript R, reph, above it--with no halant between the consonant
and the vowel sign. On page 24 of Hester Lambert's Introduction to
Devanagari, "The vowel sign of [U+090B] is not written with [U+0930,
094D] The character representing {0930, 094D] with [U+090B] is written
with the superscribed stroke used to represent [0930, 094D] when it is to
be realized before another consonant with character without an intervening
vowel {i.e. reph]. This stroke is placed over the vowel character
[U+090B], as in [U+0928, 093F, 090B, reph, 0924, 093F] nirrti." The order
of filing 'nirri' (dot under second r) in Monier Williams Sanskrit-English
dictionary (page 554, column 2) tends to confirm this interpretation: It
has after nirUha, nirri, nirrich and nirrij (with a dot below the second
r) followed by nire. It is possible that this peculiar rendering practice
would extend to the RA followed by U+0944, 0962 or 0963 but they seem to
me too unlikely to dwell on. I suppose (by analogy to having two ways to
encode many letters with diacritics) Unicode could allow two ways to
encode what looks like "R vowel with reph"; at present it describes the
one with a halant but is silent about the display when the r consonant is
immediately followed by the r matra, U+0930, 0943.
     Regards,
          Jim Agenbroad ( jage@LOC.gov )
     The above are purely personal opinions, not necessarily the official
views of any government or any agency of any.
Phone: 202 707-9612; Fax: 202 707-0955; US mail: I.T.S. Dev.Gp.4, Library
of Congress, 101 Independence Ave. SE, Washington, D.C. 20540-9334 U.S.A.