Re: Supporting this is going to be loads of fun...

From: Marc Blanchet (Marc.Blanchet@viagenie.qc.ca)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 07:42:11 EST

At/À 12:17 2000-11-09 -0800, Paul Deuter you wrote/vous écriviez:
><http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/00/11/08/001108hnmultilingual.xml>http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/00/11/08/001108hnmultilingual.xml
>
>Can someone tell me how domain names with international characters will be
>encoded? Is this well understood? Or is it that everyone will choose
>their own encoding and software developers will be left to support a
>hodgepodge of encodings?

the ietf idn wg is responsible to come up with a solution. many proposals
are on the table, some come from unicode people.
see http://www.i-d-n.net

Marc.

>I wouldn't mind hearing what the Unicode folks think about multi-lingual
>domain names.
>
>-Paul
><mailto:paul.deuter@plumtree.com>paul.deuter@plumtree.com
>
>http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/00/11/08/001108hnmultilingual.xml

Marc Blanchet
Viagénie inc.
tel: 418-656-9254
http://www.viagenie.qc.ca

Normos (http://www.normos.org): Internet standards portal:
IETF RFC, drafts, IANA, W3C, ATMForum, ISO, ... all in one place.