Re: National Languages Support in Windows

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 09:50:58 EST

It is Microsoft specific and is known as a "best fit" mapping, or "best fit
characters." ATAIK it is not documented anywhere, except for being mentioned
(in a slightly negative light!) in a couple of places. Oh, and (just found
this one!) it is mentioned in WideCharToMultiByte:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/winbase/unicode_2bj9.htm

It mentions the (Win2000 only) WC_NO_BEST_FIT_CHARS, which turns off this
behavior. This would also be slightly slower, I believe, but it is not
doc'ed as such.

There are some amusing mappings, such as the fect that the infinity sign
maps to the number eight as a "best fit" when no infinity is available. And
if you take the Greek alphabet, a few characters (like Gamma will map to G
even though others will not).

I think they did it to make us smile whenever someone would catch one of the
amusing ones.

michka

a new book on internationalization in VB at
http://www.i18nWithVB.com/