RE: string vs. char [was Re: Java and Unicode]

From: addison@inter-locale.com
Date: Fri Nov 17 2000 - 13:17:27 EST

Well... I think you're right. I knew that char and string units weren't
really the same thing. My concern was how to make it easy on developers to
use the Unicode API using their "native intelligence".

More thought makes me less certain of my approach. Specifically, as Mark
points out, looping structures are much more ugly when using
pointers. And I still have to have all of the code for the scalar value
conversion. It's better to force a casting macro on the developers than
trying to do their dirty work for them. Fooling developers who use your
API is a Bad Idea, usually.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Addison

Addison P. Phillips Principal Consultant
Inter-Locale LLC http://www.inter-locale.com
Los Gatos, CA, USA mailto:addison@inter-locale.com

+1 408.210.3569 (mobile) +1 408.904.4762 (fax)
Globalization Engineering & Consulting Services