Re: FW: embedding in HTML

From: addison@inter-locale.com
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 19:48:52 EST

Dear Kai,

You can use any of the Unicode characters in an HTML file if you encode
the *entire* HTML file using the UTF-8 encoding of the Unicode character
set. A META tag is almost certainly necessary in order to get the results
that you desire from such a file.

You should note that, although the file is properly encoded, you may see
little black squares instead of the IPA characters if you do not have a
font installed that includes the IPA characters. In addition, older
browsers cannot automatically select an appropriate font, even if it is
installed. The IPA characters are often unavailable.

For an example of what a page looks like that includes the IPA Extensions
in it, go to: http://www.inter-locale.com/demos/Character.html and choose
0x0200 from the list box. If your setup is like the one I'm viewing it
with right now, you'll see big empty squares where the characters ought to
be, even though the page is correctly encoded.

Note that this page is a frameset. If you want to view the HTML source,
be sure and select the left frame (or the right frame) for viewing, rather
than the whole page.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Best Regards,

Addison

Addison P. Phillips Principal Consultant
Inter-Locale LLC http://www.inter-locale.com
Los Gatos, CA, USA mailto:addison@inter-locale.com

+1 408.210.3569 (mobile) +1 408.904.4762 (fax)
Globalization Engineering & Consulting Services