RE: Japanese @ in html

From: Hart, Edwin F. (Edwin.Hart@jhuapl.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2000 - 08:51:33 EST

Unicode has a Technical Report that discusses the "width" property of
characters. Go to www.unicode.org.

As I understand it, Japanese has fullwidth Latin characters because they
have a width comparable to the Japanese ideographic characters, which tend
to be wider than the normal widths of the glyphs for Latin characters.

The fullwidth Latin characters were included in Unicode for compatibility
(round trip integrity) with JIS character sets.

Ed Hart

Edwin F. Hart
edwin.hart@jhuapl.edu
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
11100 Johns Hopkins Road
Laurel, MD 20723-6099
USA
+1-443-778-6926 (Baltimore area)