Re: FW: embedding in HTML

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Tue Nov 28 2000 - 10:14:56 EST

On 11/28/2000 01:39:28 AM Jukka.Korpela wrote:

>This doesn't however mean that one could write full IPA very successfully.
>IPA writing needs combining diacritic marks too. I was positively
>surprised at seeing that IE 4 can handle some combinations, like
>ɐ́, but the implementation is rather simplistic and doesn't
>work that well for all diacritics, or for cases where several diacritics
>are to be combined with a base character.

Stacking diacritics requires "smart" font rendering, which is implemented
in IE on Windows (not on Mac) using OpenType and Uniscribe. The current
versions of Uniscribe and Arial Unicode MS do not have the smarts in them
to handle stacking diacritics on Latin text. That situation is going to
change, but I don't know in what time frame. We are working on revising our
phonetic fonts to use Unicode encoding, and will be supporting OpenType and
Graphite rendering technologies (there are some capabilities we can
currently provide using Graphite that we can't provide using OpenType); we
may also add AAT tables as well. When available, these fonts will stack
diacritics, but it will still be necessary to wait for an updated Uniscribe
engine for this to be supported in IE.

Peter